Cooper the Bee Tormenter
Cooper learned a very important yet hard lesson this week… It’s best not to taunt bees!
I had just finished up work for the week and came home to my excited greeters, Cooper and Leko. Cooper acted his completely normal, hyperactive self. I took him outside to do his business. Our yard was covered in those little white flowers from the week’s rain and storms, and with that attracts bees. Cooper is more curious than Leko ever was as a puppy, and tends to get himself into more trouble. I caught him trying to catch the bees with his mouth. I yelled and pulled him back on the leash as I saw him snap at one that was circling his head. Three times he tried his hardest to catch the bee. Finally he gave up (or finally decided to listen to me) and did his business and came trotting back inside.
Leko and Cooper have a routine when I come home from work. After they do their business, they get their treats then run back my bed and wait for their belly rubs. Leko was already back there waiting for me. As I was petting him, Cooper slowly came walking into the bedroom and sat down slowly by the steps leading to the bed. I instantly thought his leg was out of place (he suffers from luxating patella, click here to read his story) and he needed help putting his knee back in. Once I picked Cooper up and set him on the bed, something wasn’t right.
Cooper seemed out if it, really lethargic. He couldn’t barely hold himself up, and kept laying down on his side with this blank look on his face. Even talking to him, saying “cookies”, showed absolutely no response from him. Completely unlike my Cooper.
I immediately thought he had been stung. I felt him and checked him for any swollen spots…. And found nothing. As he laid there dazed, he began to make a gurgle noise in his throat, almost like he was getting sick and about to dry heave.
Thinking Cooper was going into anaphylactic shock, I called our vet only to find they had closed an hour earlier. I ended up rushing Cooper to AVETS, (Allegheny Veterinary Emergency Traumatic & Specialty) about 3 miles up the road from us.
During the ride, Cooper started perking up and becoming more alert and normal. Figures right? Regardless, something happened and it was better to be safe than sorry.
Upon arrival at the emergency room, we were taken back to an exam room immediately. Cooper started working his charm on the nurses, who were gushing over his cuteness and looking like a teddy bear. When asked if he was scared as I held him in my arms, I moved my hand away from his tail to show it wagging wildly.
Cooper was examined and it was concluded that he was stung and possibly ingested the bee, causing a reaction, but it wasn’t an allergy since he got better. We just had to watch for any signs of swelling and could give him baby Benadryl if needed. The vet also told me the signs of anaphylactic shock in dogs and what to watch out for should this happen again (hopefully it won’t and he learned a lesson!). Click here to read more about anaphylactic shock in dogs.
Really be careful with your pups being around bees and wasps this summer!